I was never a gigantic fan of Google Talk back in the day, but its simplicity and ease of use, along with its very low consumption of resources, made it a natural chatting application that could be used anywhere you could open up a desktop page of Gmail. I did appreciate GT for the freedom to use my own client with the service, so for many years, I’d used GT on both PC and Mac (using the integrated iChat at the time). It catalogued all your chats within Gmail in a searchable way, so you could return to chats at a later date and review things, as opposed to most chat clients then, where transcription was basically nonexistent.
Even using Mac/iOS, I continued to use GT for years, first on the web and then as an app. But then like 6 or 7 years ago, Google suddenly upended their strategy, with Google+ marking the beginning of the end for me and Google. They had removed the searchable chats feature in Gmail & pumped everything into Google Voice, which is almost entirely a throw-away service people use to avoid calls that would otherwise go to their phones. Then, Google suddenly upended their strategy again, and abandoned Google+ while drastically downgrading their GV service and tossing everyone on this app Hangouts.
Hangouts has always been terrible. But it did continue to use the same platform as GT which could easily have had a billion users at one point (it was that ubiquitous!) and that made switching to the app, at a minimum, relatively simple. Nothing else with it is, however. I hadn’t used Hangouts for years, when a few months my spouse needed to use it at work to chitchat during the day. So I redownloaded it, and couldn’t believe how terrible the app is still:
- Easily the most power & data consuming app on my iPhone Xr. Near top of most daily battery life lists. I text with one person on it, a few times a day, that’s it.
- Notifications haven’t worked reliably on 4 handsets over 7 years.
- Hyperlinks & tweets don’t preview after sending, like they do in Messages or Twitter or Facebook or...
- Sending images is a mystery! It almost always shows “sending” in the message status forever, so you never know if it sent successfully until the other party say so.
- GIFs don’t function properly.
- The “send button”. It’s in the middle of the $!&#** text window. A big dumb green blob floating in the lower right corner, essentially rendering that corner a no-man’s-land (unless you like constantly sending unfinished messages & wrestling with a touchpad all day long). I know part of this is Apple’s fault. This is a freakishly awful aesthetic feature that seems to be rather common elsewhere, too.
- It’s so poorly-integrated with iOS. In the end, this was the tipping point for me way back when, and i’s precisely the same now. The app just doesn’t Play Nicely with iOS or Apple products at all. Glitches, incompatibilities, tech deficiencies (battery). Fine, they’re a competitor, but then just don’t bother.
And now, there are other inexplicably numerous apps for each Google service. I can’t even keep up anymore. Duo? Meet? Any else I’m missing? Google, you are A Mess. Gmail is likely a permanent feature of humanity now, but no one needs to use Google for rudimentary 1st gen web functionality when these are the options.
I really want to text my sister because she has a different phone then me so somehow she got it to work. So then we texted each other. soon later my friends text never ever worked and we were trying to text for such a long time.Then I kept telling her to get google hangouts.When she finally got it there was one thing we booth couldn’t figure out was getting her on my text. This part I would just give a 4 and a half by the way not trying to be rude with that part though. Ok so we couldn’t figure it out then randomly we started SCREAMING because there was something that said 1 invitation so we were really happy. Over all I would give it a 4 and a Half but I couldn’t so here is 5 stars!
I love hangouts I use it to text my friends all the time it’s awesome cause when I don’t have my phone I can still get texts from people on the computer/laptop. But recently I don’t know why it said that I didn’t have any more storage on it and it crashed. When it said that I thought oh I could just delete a few conversations that I don’t use very much but I still wouldn’t let me do that either! It just shut down completely so I had to delete it.
I really needed it tho so I deleted a few apps that might take up a lot of storage but I didn’t need and now I tried to get it again and it worked! So I’m changing it to five stars.
1) Make it to were you can know if you’ve been blocked or just being ignored
2) It is very difficult to back search your text to find a text to re-read.
3) The notification sounds need to be changeable (different tones) and the volume needs to be adjustable and louder so I can be awoken when someone wants to message me in the early morning and it needs a new message tone so you can know when you received a new message without having to watch the screen continuously.
If you will do these things I will give you 5 stars.
this app needs updates but overall still one of the best texting apps out there. i have been using since 2014. google needs to update the finding contacts and there are many glitches with adding new people that need to be fixed. of course there are some caveats and ways tk maneuver around this but it would be great if google could just fix this.
best part about this app is that there is a website where you can go on your computer to chat with people. that is why i continue to use google hangouts.
So my friend recommended we try this because our airtime wasn’t working, so I said, “Yeah let’s try it out.” So I got it, and it worked perfectly. I suggest 2 things though.
The first thing is that when we go into another app, for example, C.O.D mobile or Roblox, the other person’s voice lags a lot. I’d suggest you fix that.
The last thing is codes. I think you should add a code so that it’s easier to find your friends if you don’t know their other information, like their email.
This app is what scammers use to start scamming. I was scammed out of a lot of money, and gift cards. This app is like their spider web! PLEASE BEWARE!!
I was approached on Words with Friends 2; and, first thing they push you for is to switch to Hangouts or What’s App to text and call;
Then the scam begins!!!!
I was scammed over several months and was elaborate scam involving other men. A team.
App is amazing, works great for long distance calls and video chats. The only thing I’d like to point out is that there are no filters. I think that face filters would be a really cool feature, especially since I also usually contact my friends and my brothers through this app. I think that filters would be a really great feature, so I hope that there is some way to add filters.
It’s ok Ig Bc it would not let me log in for sum reason. Like I try to log in but it keeps saying ‘’unable to connect accounts’’ it’s kinda annoying I keep trying everyday. It’s doesn’t work anywhere I’m am but other than that it’s keeps glitching. But seriously other than that it’s an ok app for people who has iPhone can text people who has Samsung and android.
Very buggy at all times. It fells like the app is not even loved anymore, it been months since the app was updated. It needs an up feat to fix bugs. It might need an whole redesign again. It buggy all the time. Video calls need to be clear!! They are very pixelated AT ALL TIMES!! Wish chats wouldn’t disappear after a full threshold count is met.