ASO can be a simple yet effective tool for the performance of an app. When optimizing your app for the Apple App Store, the iTunes Keyword Spot is one of the most important assets.
In this blog, we will briefly introduce you the iTunes Connect Keyword Spot. You will realize the fast & simple nature of iTunes Connect keyword optimization for boosting your organic download rates.
To learn more about App Store Optimization, check one of our previous articles.
Introduction: iTunes Connect Keyword Spot
Often overlooked by app publishers, iTunes Connect Keyword Spot is one of the fundamental parts of your ASO strategy. Getting the most out of the 100 characters provided to you has a critical importance for the success of your app.
Why is Optimizing iTunes Connect Keyword Spot Important?
The core purpose is to boost your organic downloads in today’s increasingly competitive marketplace. Your success is highly dependent on the playground you are provided, that is the App Stores. You should know the certain limitations, standards, and criterion of Apple’s App Store and act accordingly.
When it comes to the creativity of an individual in terms of finding related keywords for a certain app, the sky can be the limit. Still, Apple’s App Store limit the publishers with a ceiling of 100 characters in their Keyword Spot.
This simply means that you have to be more selective before picking the related keywords for your apps. Publishers are generally “forced” to sacrifice some of their really good keywords due to this limitation by Apple.
The surprising thing about ASO is the fact that even though many are aware of Apple’s limitations, they do not exactly know how to behave accordingly. We will start off with the common mistakes so that you can completely avoid them.
The Common Mistakes about iTunes Connect Keyword Spot
Without having the essential knowledge, you can waste key opportunities and miss out on the opportunity for your app to reach its full potential. Let’s go through some common tendencies by publishers which turn out to be mistakes.
- App name in iTunes Keyword Spot: Probably the most common mistake by publishers is the tendency to add the App name in the keyword field provided by Apple. It is a waste of keyword limit as Apple already includes both the app name & publisher name in the keywords you rank for. Repeating the App Name doesn’t translate to higher rankings!
- Stop Words: You may think that one long phrase is highly relevant for your app and may provide a high ranking. However, having stop words such as and, you, to, too, for, etc. Won’t contribute to your rankings they will only take up your precious character limits.
- Not Using a Comma between Words: Another common mistake is not separating long tail keywords with a comma, restricting the combinations and the number of keywords they are being ranked for. Always remember that you will rank for the combinations of the keywords you include in your keyword spot!
- Keywords in App Name: Apple’s secret algorithm highly values the keywords in an app’s name. Rather than wasting your keywords in the iTunes Connect Keyword field, you should use them in your App Name to maximize the possible impact towards your ranking. Adding the most important ones under the App Name will be more beneficial.
- Use of Space: In the keyword field of iTunes Connect, the use of space has no positive impact on your results. You will only end up wasting your precious character limit and harm your ASO strategy.
- Repeating and Ordering: Repeating the keywords in the keyword spot and ordering them are also common mistakes. Not repeating keywords will end up fully utilizing the spot while ordering is completely irrelevant in terms of the impact on the ranking.
- Use of Singulars/Plurals Another common tendency is to repeat the words with their singulars/plurals and waste valuable characters. Always remember that after entering a word to the keyword spot, adding the singular/plural version has no positive impact.
How to optimize your iTunes Connect Keyword Spot
Now, you have sufficient knowledge about the importance of optimizing the keyword spot. We can answer the golden question of “How ?”.
The first thing you should do is research. For successfully optimizing the iTunes Connect keywords, you should go through a research process to choose the most relevant and suitable keywords for your app. For more detailed information about finding keywords, check this blog.
As Mobile Action, we provide our clients with a Keyword Research Tool. You can even get long-tail keyword suggestions in respect to the nature of your app.
There are two key metrics for ASO which are the Chance Score and the Search Score. The Chance Score indicates the difficulty to rank on a certain keyword. A high chance score would mean that it is easier to compete on that keyword for ranking.
The Search Score indicates the popularity of a certain keyword. Scaled from 0 to 100, a high search score is very beneficial to target keywords which can address your app to a wider audience.
You should focus on inserting as many keywords as possible (as long as they are related to your app, have high chance & search score). Our research suggests that the more keywords you have in the iTunes Connect Keyword field, the more coverage you will have.
In this limited environment, it is very important to find the bottom line between the quality and the length of a keyword. To accomplish this balancing act, you should constantly monitor your keyword rankings.
Your main focus should be all about creating keyword combinations. This can be highly beneficial for optimizing your iTunes Connect Keyword Spot and this time, you are your own limit. Now let’s make things clear with an example:
Assuming that you have an app in the form of tank game; you can type “tank, battle,war” in your keyword field. Apple will give you credit for;
Tank, Battle, Tank Battle, Battle Tank, War Tank, Battle War Tank, etc…
Check Apple’s guidelines about the iTunes Connect Keyword Spot.
Secret Tip: Localization
There is also a secret tip of Apple’s App Store Localization which can turn out to be extremely beneficial for your ASO strategy. If you are ranking for two localizations in a single country, you will also rank for the keywords you have for the second localization.
For example in the United States, after English (US), Apple does the ranking in Spanish (Mexico). By localizing your app with the language of Spanish (Mexico) for your Spanish speaking market, you can gain the benefit of having an extra keyword spot.
The Bottom Line
We hope you enjoyed our iTunes Connect Keyword Spot blog. Obviously, you are not done after coming up with the best keywords for your keyword spot. Remember that the landscape is constantly changing, making consecutive adjustments a necessity.
After adding your keywords to the iTunes Connect Keyword field, you should measure them. Testing is also another important step. You can use Mobile Action to get better insights for both tracking and testing phases.
Now, you have a good understanding in optimizing the keyword spot, so go ahead and start working on your iTunes Connect Keyword optimization!
Hope this blog post was helpful to you. Remember to share it for fellow publishers who might need these tips. Stay tuned for more insights.
Mobile Action Team
Get the Mobile Action Newsletter
Get the latest ASO tips, app marketing strategies and market analysis delivered directly to your inbox.